Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Food" for thought......

I have been fascinated with food, nutrition, and the impact that they have on our health since I was a teen. It was started by my family and my curiosity grew into my early twenties when I became a vegetarian and practiced that eating style on and off until my mid-thirties. While I have been a meat-eater for many years now I still base my diet heavily in vegetables. I try to read and learn constantly about nutrition and just found some information in the October edition of Fitness magazine. I want to share it with you.
One of my interests has been organics. This started before anything "organic" ever appeared in a grocery store. Having grown vegetables "organically" for many years I always felt like it was not neccesary to buy all of our veggies and fruits organic. Some of our produce is bug resistant and prolific all on its own, so it did not make sense to me that commercial growers would spend money on using these chemicals when it was not needed.
Here is a list of produce that you just don't need to buy organic......(save your money for edibles like the list of produce that DOES need to be organic, plus eggs, milk and meat which are concentrated animal products!)
"Clean" produce: (from cleanest to riskiest) Onions (duh!), Avocado, Sweet Corn, Pineapple, Mangoes, Sweet Peas, Asparagus, Kiwi, Cabbage, Eggplant, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Grapefruit, Sweet potato, Honeydew melon
"Dirty" produce: (from dirtiest to cleanest) Celery, Peaches, Strawberries, Apples, Blueberries, Nectarines, Bell Peppers (you can't grow these guys without LOTS of fertilizer), Spinach, Kale, Cherries, Potatoes, Imported Grapes
This is by no means extensive and if you are interested I am sure there is lots more info out there.
Have an inspired day!
Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment